About Me

My photo

Kissing frogs, living through it, and writing to tell about it.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Worst Date Ever

The worst date I've ever been on occurred in the summer of 2010. John and I exchanged a few messages, and he seemed nice enough, and we made plans to meet at his place. I packed a picnic lunch, and brought my Wii. John lived near the U-Albany campus, in a tall apartment building on a busy road. I parked in the complex's lot, gathered all of my stuff, and started towards the building. At that moment, John called me, and told me I couldn't park there, and I would have to park out on the main road. I put all of my stuff (three over-flowing, heavy bags) back in the car, and re-parked. As soon as I got all of my stuff out of the car (again), and shut the door, I realized I had locked my keys in the car.
When I got to John's apartment, I let him know, and he asked me what I was going to do. I asked him if he had a wire coat hanger, which he brought out of the bedroom. Now, at this point, the normal thing (or, at least, what I was expecting) was for the guy to say, "Let me help you"... Instead, John just stood there and looked at me. So I said, "I guess I'll go down and try to get into my car", to which he responded, "thank you" (um......"thank you"!?), and continued to just stand there and look at me. I spent the next TWO HOURS trying to break into my car with a coat hanger. For the first hour, John texted me every 10 minutes, "how's it going?"or "is everything ok?", then every 45 minutes...
It was a very hot, humid day, and there wasn't any shade on this particular street. While I tried not to die from heat stroke, John sat in his air-conditioned apartment, doing God-knows-what. I was beyond aggravated. A police officer stopped and asked if I needed any assistance, but told me officers aren't allowed to carry slim-jims anymore, because of liability issues for any damages that may occur. He offered to call me a tow truck, but I didn't have any money on me, so I declined. Frustrated, hot, and on the verge of tears, I called a good friend and explained the situation. Her response? "I'll be right there." THAT is a normal response!
While I was waiting, a very sweet, older lady from the same building came over to me. I told her I was on a date, and she said, "Oh, sweetie, you don't want to date anyone from this building! This is a government-run facility for the elderly, or those with mental/physical handicaps. Of course. Just my luck. She went door-to-door, asking her neighbors if anyone had a AAA card, and another elderly lady let her use hers. John was still texting me, to see if "everything was okay". Around this time, my friend showed up, and we decided to go get my stuff from John's apartment, and just leave once AAA un-locked my car. The lady neighbor who was helping me said, "If you aren't back in 10 minutes, I'm calling the police!" When John opened his door, I told him I was just going to go. He did help me gather my things, and then I told him it was nice to meet him, and I ran out of there as fast as I could. The neighbor, my friend and I, all had a picnic on the sidewalk from the lunch I had packed.
At one point, the lady who let me use her AAA card drove by. She was rather cranky, and kept saying, "I shouldn't have let you use my card- I didn't realize it was my last free call until next year. What if I need it? Now I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm going to be late for church. I was trying to do the Christian thing, and be helpful, and now I've screwed myself. I'm going to be late. I have to go. I shouldn't have given you my card." Wow. 1) I can really feel "God's love" through you (ha), and 2) Um, my bad!? (I got her address and sent her a thank you card a couple of weeks later, along with a note to contact me if she does end up needing that last tow call, and I'll pay for it... I never did hear anything from her.)
After AAA arrived and got my car opened, my friend and I took off. Her car ended up breaking down on the way home, and we ended up on the side of the road, waiting for AAA again, but the afternoon we spent laughing about our crazy day was one of the most fun days I can remember having. That "date", however, was not. Needless to say, I never did hear from John again... :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment